Today was not the first day of school, but the second. The first day consisted of me going about the house, squealing and giggling, with my hands spontaneously in the praise Jesus/touchdown formation.

However that day, Taylor did not make it the whole day and didn’t get to ride the bus home.

He had problems at school; he was screaming and trying to leave.  And on my first day of a little R & R and TLC after a long and stressful summer, I had to cut it short. Not again, I thought.  Is this how the school year is going to start?  Please tell me this isn’t going to be the norm.  As a mom of an autistic child, you really need that down time to recoup.  They need your best, which means you need to take care of yourself so you can take care of them.

I picked him up early, and thankfully when I showed up he had calmed down and was doing fine.  I was happy because it meant that he was able to get out of his moments at school without my help, and frustrated because the school still wanted me to take him home.

So none-the-less, I was worried about today. But the pickup went great, the school didn’t give me any calls, and the most stressful part, the bus ride home, went without a hitch!  Taylor had a very difficult time riding the bus home after his route was changed to stop at another school to pick some students up before the home drop offs began.  For 7 years, Taylor has had the routine, Bus stops at a school; I get off.  So, I believe when he got to that second school, that is what he thought and got off the bus.  Then he saw the playground and wanted to play.  When the workers tried to get him back on the bus he got very angry and dropped to the ground kicking and crying.  After that, every time he stopped at that school, he wanted to get off the bus and play.  Then he started, at random times on the bus, getting out of his seat.  After a while I just started picking him up from school.  I felt the pressure from the bus company and since there was nothing I could do to change his behavior, I gave in.  Thankfully this year, we told his psychologist what had happened the last year, and she stood up for us and talked to the company.

So now you can see why I was stressed about the first ride home.  Then the most wonderful thing happened.  When the bus got to our house and Taylor (still seated) bounded off, I asked how he did.  The driver responded “He did great.” and “He’s a sweet kid.”  I about cried right there.  Since Taylor’s behaviour has started changing with the onset of puberty, he hasn’t been referred to as a sweet kid for over a half a year, when before that he was always described that way even when he was having a meltdown.

Tears of Joy. Tears of hope and gratitude.  Relief.  Peace.  All those emotions and more flowed through my heart that afternoon.  The kindness of others are such blessings to a tired worn out mom.  When you think that any kindness you show someone is not big enough to matter, you have no idea the impact you actually have.

Thankfully, the rest of the week went great.  I’m thinking it was just a first day of school thing.  Fingers crossed

Thank you, our new bus driver, Jason. I will pray blessings over you and urge others to join in. You gave me hope and relief.

Please join with me and pray that Taylor has a good year this year with a bunch of mile stones met. Maybe he will even speak…..(I always hold out hope)

As always, positive comments are welcome. Negative hurtful comments will be trashed before I can even finish reading them. I have many readers who are emotionally vulnerable, and I will not post comments that will further harm.

Thank you for stopping by! Subscribe to get emails each time there is a new post, or like my Facebook page!